Subject: [Leica] re: digital treadmill
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Sun Jan 15 17:28:37 2006

Ted Grant wrote:

> B. D. offered:
>> inkjet print - and if printed on the right paper a print that is
>> virtually
>> indistinguishable from a custom RC print - I would never claim
>> that an
>> inkjet print is "better" than a custom fiber print - that's like
>> saying that
>> chocolate ice cream is better than coffee ice cream; they are
>> different
>> animals; they have different looks and feels, and thus they aren't
>> comparable. I may "like" one better than the other, but to say
>> that one is
>> "better" really doesn't cut it. At least not in my book.<<<<

Whoa there ... I never actually said that an inkjet print is "better"
than a fiber print (and I am also still shooting with film :-))

What I did say is that:
"
                With the ability to scan and adjust curves in Photoshop the
final
output quality of a B/W inkjet print (at least in my hands) bests the
                quality of a B/W fiber print. Inkjet prints can be made with
long-
lasting carbon inks that have blacks as deep or deeper than the

best of silver gelatin. I daresay that you would have a hard time
telling the origin of such a print as from a B/W or color negative.
"

Note that this is *my* experience and is using the latest and
greatest inks (K3 for glossy, MIS Eboni for matte). This is with my
own prints side by side using the best that *I* can do.

Objectively the blacks are measurably blacker. This, along with the
ability in Photoshop to improve deep shadow separation makes my
prints look better.

I am still developing my 8x10 negatives by inspection (ABC pyro), and
printing my 8x10 negatives using Azo/Amidol. These do have a look
that I haven't been able to achieve with enlarger based printing (or
yet with digital printing for that matter).

What I am saying is that inkjet printing is getting <i>that good</i>

> Hi B.D.,
> As much as I've slowly learned how to produce better and better
> looking inkjet prints from scanned B&W negs and as often as I've
> compared wet tray print to inkjet print of identical neg, I agree
> with you completely. Well it could all change some day as is
> everything in this wild and crazy world of electronic wonderland is
> constantly doing. ;-)

Have you done this with a new K3 print -- the blacks really are
blacker! (to the extent that black blacks are important).

> As you say, >>> "that's like saying chocolate ice cream is better
> than coffee ice cream; they are <different animals; they have
> different looks and feels, and thus they aren't comparable.<<<<

Fair enough. But frankly a photo is sort of a photo particularly
under glass -- people that see the recent inkjets can't tell the
difference.

> I still say too many people make a comparison of inkjet to wet tray
> print lying side by each..... WRONG!
>
> Put one print in one room, the other in another. Look at one and
> ask..."Do you like it?" Usually the answer is "WOW! Beautiful
> photograph!"  Now without the subject knowing which print is which
> in production method take them to look at the other. And if one is
> a master PS and wet tray printer you are going to get...""WOW!
> Beautiful photograph!"  It's as simple as that.

True. However once you learn a fair amount of Photoshop consider the
speed of getting a great print, and the reproducibility of then
printing that print 100+ times.

> We still have people making negative comments about inkjet prints
> when they do not have the skills they've learned in the darkroom of
> many years. If I had 50 years doing PS as I have in a darkroom I
> imagine my B&W prints using the "tools" of PS, I suppose I could
> produce inkjet prints that would leave people sucking air in
> amazement, equal to when they look at my regular darkroom prints. ;-)

Trust me, although PS has a steep learning curve, it is not nearly as
steep as becoming a master darkroom printer. Not nearly.

Jonathan

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] re: digital treadmill)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] re: digital treadmill)