Subject: Noisy digital shadows - was: Re: [Leica] re: digital
From: dmdorn_ct_usa at mac.com (David M. Dorn)
Date: Mon Jan 16 16:33:36 2006

Phong wrote:

When I use my Canon digital SLR, I am always mindful
of the possibility of blown highlights.

The best advice I have heard so far about digital vs. film was to think
"slide film" and expose for the high lights and let the shadows take
care of themselves.  Years ago Popular Photograph had an article
exposing slide film which suggested using a crumpled white handkerchief
like a grey card and taking a spot reading of of an area that a one
step down from the purest white.  I used it many times and got great
results keeping in mind that in extremely harsh light I was going to
see shadows go black.  In more normal contrast lighting is was just
about perfect given the film at that time (Kodachrome 25 etc.).

I have only dabbled with digital cameras so far but I think this seem
to work when I had the original Digilux.  Also,  I hear that to get the
full dynamic range of digital you need to shoot in raw which is why I
got rid of the Digilux and am still looking at digital cameras.

P.S. - I am about to test Adobe LightRoom...the workflow seems to more
fit what I think it should be and the fact that you can go to PS where
you need extra features looks very good.  I seems the adjustments and
especially Color to B&W conversion are easier and my even be better
than PS.  Tests will tell.

David

Replies: Reply from phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong) (Noisy digital shadows - was: Re: [Leica] re: digital)