Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 51 & 52: Finishing the year on the road
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jan 16 22:29:51 2006

Nathan showed:
Subject: Nathan's PAW 51 & 52: Finishing the year on the road

Hi Nathan,
Well done and a great way to finish the year. Everyone is a keeper in
varying degrees of excellence.

You always produce excellent teaching/learning photography for the crew see
what can be done if you just "feel a motivating moment" and shoot it!  Much
of what we see here is.... "being motivated and shooting with hardly a
thought.....
click!"

> WEEK 51
> My dog sleeps in a designated place, but my cat sleeps wherever he likes.
> Often, I find him on my daughter's bed when I go to wake her up in the
> morning:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_51.jpg<<<<<

A nice quiet family moment to be appreciated when she's showing her children
about how the cat slept along side. ;-)

> Moving on to the trip. Here is my friend Marek near Copenhagen:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_51alt1.jpg
> and my friend Lars, near ?rhus, making a point during a late-night, beery
> discussion:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_51alt2.jpg
> and here he is with his girlfriend Nanou:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_51alt3.jpg

These are real life moments without hesitation. Sure they're friends and it
makes it a tad easier to shoot in this location compared to strangers. But
it's the moments and gestures that make them work. The feel of reality
captured.

> Then a couple of scenics from the Dutch/German border, as the sun was
> struggling to break through the fog:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_51alt4.jpg
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_51alt5.jpg

Nice moody feel to both, but having held my cropping "L's" to the screen a
touch off the bottom of >>> paw/2005/2005_51alt4.jpg<<<   creates a narrower
photo top to bottom allowing for a feeling of greater depth. It's about an
inch as the photo appears on the screen.

> WEEK 52
> Now we move on to Poland.
> The main pic is a view of Wroclaw's Hala Ludowa under a dramatic sky:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_52.jpg
>
> Two couples in Gdansk, one inside and one outside:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_52alt1.jpg
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_52alt2.jpg

Both of these are well done with nice feeling. I particularly like the
street photo because of the reflections and overall feel of shooting at
night with everybody visible in an interesting manner. Like it's all sharp
and not a time exposure with all kinds of blurs.

> A giant picture of the late Polish pope outside Gdansk shipyard:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_52alt3.jpg

Another night shot well done. It's like "show no fear Nathan's here! We will
have interesting night pictures." Not only this one and the previous, you do
this on a regular basis making for pictures while others, not all, fear to
shoot because of.. "oh gee whiz I'll get grain!" AAAAACCCKKKK! To hell with
the grain, think of the content and capturing interesting moments!" And if
you can't handle that make sure you have 100 ASA film and shoot by the light
of the noon day sun! ;-) It'll be grain free and as dull as all get out! ;-)

> A winter sunrise in Lezno, outside Gdansk, where we were staying in an old
> German palace converted to hotel:
> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_52alt4.jpg
> Whenever I see a sunrise or sunset, I check what the sun is illuminating,
> like here in the garden of the palace:
>> http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_52alt5.jpg

Well said and shot. So many people see an interesting sunrise or set then
only look in that direction. What they don't understand is.... "the sun rays
do not stop at your feet, they blow right by you quite often creating a far
superior photograph than the setting or rising sun."

Always turn around and see what it's lighting behind you!!

> Now on to 2006!<<<

Run with it mon ami, we're all waiting for the new year postings! :-)

ted