Subject: [Leica] #005
From: geebee at geebeephoto.com (GeeBee)
Date: Wed Jan 18 15:54:58 2006

 From: "Peter Dzwig" <pdzwig@summaventures.com>

Subject: Re: [Leica] #005

> > GB wrote:
> >
> >> The field undulations are the result of medieval strip farming.
> >> Leica M6 : 21mm Elmarit : orange filter : Ilford HP5 @ 400
> >> http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06005.htm
> >
> Graham,
>
> Is there a DMV nearby still? Was it hit by Black Death or what? the whole
area
> is fascinating for its clusrters of villages and field systtems which seem
> have survived the years and the plough.
>
> A great shot. It looks a lot colder there than our present 12-15C
>
> All the best,
>
> Peter
--------------------

Hi Peter,

The strips are very common hereabouts and one family may have had several
strips in different locations within the manor to ensure that no one family
got the good land whilst another got poor soil. They were taxed by the lord
of the manor, had crops requisitioned in times of war and with each
generation the strips had to feed more and more family members. You can also
throw disease and pestilence into the mix. The strips have survived modern
farming and are still very prominent.

No deserted village but the people that worked those strips of land may have
lived at Fawsley which used to be just a mile down the road. More of that
here:
http://www.geebeephoto.com/Walks/Fawsley/index.htm

Thanks for looking.

--Graham