Subject: [Leica] Konica Minolta to quit photo market
From: AHGRAVES at prodigy.net (AHGRAVES@prodigy.net)
Date: Fri Jan 20 06:49:24 2006

+I was talking with my local camera store owner a few
months ago aboutMinolta. His opinion was that Minolta
was dead in the U.S. market before digital became a
factor. The naming of models was unbelievably
confusing
(see
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/minoltacamera.htm
for examples)

and he said models were often being superceded by a
newer one before he could ever supply demand for the
first. Though he is not on a major market, this is a
fairly large camera store in a town with a large state
university, and the shop has had a minolta dealership
since the 60's.

Things apparently have been worse since the
Konica/Minolta merger and he had almost dropped
, both film and all except the lowest digital models.

I know that here in Alabama, Konica film has always
been a rare beast, and I suspect that no one on this
list has chosen any Konica film as his primary film. I
also suspect that only a few here have seriously used
any Minolta camera made in the last 10 or 15 years.

Perhaps the exit of KM from the photography has less
th do with "The Death Of Film Photography As We Know
It" and more to do with a giant conglomerate leaving a
fast-changing market that it was too inept and
ponderous to adapt to.

Allen