Subject: [Leica] Konica Minolta to quit photo market
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Fri Jan 20 09:18:03 2006

Douglas Sharp wrote:

> I don't quite see that, I'd rather be number 1 than number 350

It's all in the marketing, Douglas!

Years ago, when I was in the Stereo business, ADC made a phono
cartridge, called the ADC 220XE, which got a 'best buy' rating in
Consumer Reports magazine.  Unfortunately, my competitor, down the road,
had the 220XE locked up.  But ADC offered the same cartridge as the
220XE, 230XE and 250XE. I opted for the 250 number (remember, this is
the identical product, only the label is different), and had no trouble
showing folks the report with the 220 as 'Best Buy', and then offering
them the 'obviously better' 250XE for the same price.  I sold 'em by the
thousands. Literally!

So, in marketing, it does not always pay to be number 1.  ;-)

--
David Young,
Logan Lake, BC

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt