Subject: Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri Jan 20 11:37:39 2006

Hi Douglas,
It is true that very few metals are the used as the pure element,
AFAIK, and certainly the metals I use, are all alloys. Ally wheels
for cars are mainly aluminium, though there is a small percentage of
magnesium and other alloying elements. Ferrari use magnesium wheels
on their road cars but they have to be immediately surface treated
and repainted to avoid corrosion if scratched.  "Ally" wheels corrode
readily if used on salt de-iced roads, unless painted, but not as
fast or badly as magnesium.

Here is an excerpt from a materials handbook, on the engineering use
of magnesium alloys.

"Magnesium, with a density of ?1.7gcm-3 is significantly lighter than
most other structural metals. The mechanical properties of the pure
metal are however very poor such that only alloys of magnesium are of
practical value in engineering applications. Under ?ordinary?
atmospheric conditions magnesium and its alloys have a good
resistance to corrosion due to the formation of a passive oxide layer
as happens with aluminium and titanium. Unfortunately this layer is
not completely impervious particularly in the presence of damp air
containing salts. Corrosion resistance can thus be quite poor under
adverse conditions and care must be taken when selecting magnesium
based alloys for certain applications.  The low density of the base
metal ensures that the alloys are also extremely light. Aluminium
alloys are significantly stronger than magnesium alloys but the low
density of the latter affords higher specific strength and stiffness.
Magnesium alloys also possess good machinability and can be readily
welded using TIG. Having said that they are extremely soft and a
?bulk? penalty must be paid as a large volume of material is required
to achieve equivalent properties to other structural metals.
Furthermore they are expensive and their resistance to corrosion is
not as good as that of aluminium alloys.

There are three primary groupings of magnesium alloys in common use:
casting alloys, wrought alloys and those which can be used in both
ways. For example;

1. Magnesium-aluminium-zinc alloys may be precipitation hardened and
are used in casting, extrusions and forging.

2. Magnesium-manganese alloys are readily weldable and mainly used in
sheet fabrication processes.

3. Magnesium-zirconium-rare earth alloys can be used in both cast and
wrought forms. They have reasonably high proof stresses, resistance
to impact and corrosion and may be easily fabricated."

  The alloys used on cameras will be type 1, the others would be too
expensive.

Many metals which corrode form a thin passive layer of oxide on their
surface almost immediately, this prevents further obvious corrosion.
On aluminium and titanium the oxide layer is thin enough to be
"invisible". On brass it tarnishes then stabilises, which makes it
good for engineering but tiresome for shiny ornaments!

Basically magnesium is "the new titanium" in the camera marketing
game. It is nowhere near as good as titanium but massively cheaper
and easier to manufacture from.

It is an unfortunate fashion which will hopefully not last long.

Frank

On 20 Jan, 2006, at 00:55, Douglas Sharp wrote:

> I was led to believe that the so called magnesium used was, in fact
> always a  magnesium-aluminium alloy. As Almag - used for car wheels
> etc - it doesn't seem to be all that susceptible to corrosion
> Douglas
>
> John Lee wrote:
>
>> The top plate of the Leica R9 is made from magnesium.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On 1/19/06, Bill Marshall <billgem@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Some final thoughts on the recent discussion of the uxe of
>>> magnesium plating
>>> on the ZI . . .
>>>
>>> Claims were that magnesium is corrosive, which is true. Recent
>>> development
>>> of magnesium alloys have largely eliminated this problem. Some
>>> still don't
>>> like magnesium. Okay.
>>>
>>> Let's turn the question around. What about brass? Corrosive?
>>>
>>> Well, it's certainly not water proof. Brass is also an alloy -
>>> copper &
>>> zinc. Copper is highly corrosive. It will rust with exposure to
>>> even small
>>> amounts of water within a week. Zinc is also corrosive unless it is
>>> electroplated. What metal is closest to zinc in chemical
>>> composition?
>>> Magnesium. With proper electroplating, magnesium will be about as