Subject: Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Fri Jan 20 23:21:05 2006

Hi Bill,
they are flocking to the material because it is cheap and the next
lightest thing to plastic - which the engineers would probably prefer
to use if it did not have image problems for the typical punter.
I do not do my materials research on the web, so I can not quote a
specific example - but - whilst there are several useable alloys of
magnesium, all of which have better properties than pure mag and all
of which are strong and resilient - compared to pure mag but none of
them are strong or resilient compared to traditional materials.
Of all the manufacturers who have gone to magnesium Leica surprise me
the most. The cost benefits will be small for them because of the
small quantities to offset against tooling. I won't be replacing my
R8 with and R9.
Perhaps I am being too hard on the companies. Structurally a camera
shell does not need to be metal at all, though the main chassis
should be. I can understand the attraction of magnesium for weight
reasons, having carried the R8. Customers expect metal cameras so
they have to react to market demand. The original Voigtlander bodies
had plastic parts and were widely criticised for it. Magnesium is a
cheap, light for a metal, alternative. Cosina build the Voigtlander
andthe  Zeiss Ikon. If the paint is thick enough for a well used
camera never to "brass" "magnesium??" and the metal is not exposed
and there is an effective corrosion inhibiter under this it will
probably be OK in the short term. A magnesium camera shell 20 years
old will probably have serious deterioration. A brass camera body 60
years old will not have deteriorated at all.
I do think most manufacturers propaganda is, if you wish, puff
pieces. Certainly in the commercial worlds I have known (HiFi and
cars) this is the case, so I extrapolate, perhaps wrongly,  that it
is in others.
I think magnesium is the latest fashion material like titanium was a
few years ago. Titanium was a pointless extravagance for camera
shells but at least it was a good engineering material. There is
probably a magnesium alloy being pushed by suppliers now that
magnesium is not much used in its traditional markets having been
replaced by plastics in many high tech applications.
I have a magnesium shelled camera. I wish it was plastic or a
different metal.
Frank