Subject: [Leica] The "impending doom" of film
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Sat Jan 21 14:41:04 2006

As a collector of LPS and 78s, I would NEVER suggest someone donate LPs and
78s to a "fine" library--unless they could care less about the fate of the
discs.  Very few libraries have the expertise or curatorial commitment to
vintage records.  Those that do, such as the Rodgers and Hammerstein
collection at the NYPL, or the Belfer Collection at Syracuse, or the Yale
Collection generally have very specific interests.

I've been to many, many sales of donated records, run by major public and
university libraries.  The stuff winds up tossed into a heap for anywhere
from 25 cents to a buck a disk.

Have you ever seen the typical LP that comes from a "fine" library?  They
usually look as though they had done service at a skating rink.

I particularly recall one afternoon at a major library's listening area,
where the trained personnel were cleaning records.  This consisted of
putting a disc on a tabletop (unprotected), liberally coating a record
cleaning brush with Discwasher (when only a slight amount is recommended),
and quite literally scrubbing the surface, as if it were a linoleum floor.

My recommendation for anyone who has the slightest interest in the fate of
old records: find an avid collector and sell them, or even give them to
someone who actively acquires the stuff.  The materials stand a far greater
chance of survival.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA