Subject: [Leica] no film in a decade
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Jan 21 22:43:28 2006

Was it Dykstra who did the 60 fps projection system? I had friends who
saw demos of the high-frame-rate projection (wide screen 70mm I
think?) and they were absolutely blown away. I immediately got it
confused with IMAX but it was called something else.

I know all the rage is 24fps 1080p but I hate the peripheral effects
if you pan too fast.

I've always been curious about the big Panavision (and other) primes -
sometimes the depth of field that's captured amazes me and I wonder
about the lens they used. I know it's not a good film when I start
really pondering the cinematography during the first viewing.

Still, the very same effect that people have been whining about for
some time, about the rapid pace of change in digital, will work to
give us a medium that is as capable as film - different - but as
capable.

On the otherhand I doubt anything is going to be bring back the
quality of my father's suits or of wedding dresses. (Don't EVEN get me
started.)

Adam