Subject: Was RE: [Leica] DSLR choice - now Zeiss-Ikon - now Leica is non-Mg
From: jwlee01 at gmail.com (John Lee)
Date: Sat Jan 21 23:04:32 2006

Seth,

Your information for the Leica R9 from the Leica website is incorrect!
The information in the LEICA R9 is also incorrect.

My source: Leica, Press Release, September 2002, Nr. 40e, 02, page 1

"At photokina 2002 in Cologne, Germany, Leica Camera AG introduced the
LEICA R9,
a single lens reflex camera that incorporate numerous enhanced
characteristics that
are important photographically. Thanks to the use of new materials
such as magnesium,
the new camera is 100 grams (just over 3.5 ounces) lighter than the
top-of-the-line
model LEICA R8, yet it retains the same rigidity."

page 2, page 3

"Weight reduction by means of light metals: Weighing only 790 grams
(less than 28
ounces), the LEICA R9 is 100 grams (more tha 3.5 ounces) lighter than the
LEICA
R8. The lion's share of the weight reduction was achieved by paring 70
grams (2.5
ounces) from the weight of the top cover. The magnesium top cover now
weighs only
40 grams (less than 1.5 ounces) , which is only about one third of the
weight of the
previous top cover, which was made of die-cast zinc. The rigidity of
the new top cover
is identical to that of the previous cover. Magnesium, the same
material used for
Formula 1 engines, was ideally suited for this weight reduction. The high
Leica
standard of longevity, however, required a research project in which
Leica explored
new technological domains.

Magnesium is particularly difficult to manage with respect to
corrosion resistance
and scuffing. Leica for the first time employs a plasma-chemical
process for coating
the light metal. This transforms the surface of the magnesium into a
thin ceramic
layer. In this process, special demands are placed on the magnesium
alloy and on
the preparation of the surface. Special lacquers are then applied to
achieve an extra-
ordinary long-lasting finish. A greater fabrication effort is also
required for casting the
magnesium in the molds, because this takes place temperatures of 700 degrees
(1292 degrees F) as compared to 400 degrees C (752 degrees F) in the
die-casting
process."

Cheers,
John