Subject: [Leica] CLE... ?
From: bruent at shaw.ca (Bruce)
Date: Sun Jan 22 01:44:07 2006

> I don't get it-if the meter doesn't work, don't you still have the
> same as a M2 or 3--you can use a handheld, but it's more compact?
>
> Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@planet.nl> wrote:  Hi Steve,
>
> I would not buy a CLE for two main reasons:
>
> 1) You only get metering in AE mode, not in manual;
> 2) The electronics are finnicky, as others have noted, and there is no
> real way to get it fixed nowadays if something goes wrong.

The shutter is fired and timed by the electronics, so if they go bad
you have no meter and no shutter.

My own research suggests that the electronics are not particularly
fragile, but the CLE's are aging and Minolta stopped supplying parts
years ago. It is said that Minolta XG-7 (many of which were made)
electronics units can be used in the CLE, not certain if this is true.
Repairability/parts remains my biggest concern with the CLE.

I got one last spring to use a s a second body. It's price was very low
due to a dim RF, which was not an issue because I planned to use it
primarily with a CV 15mm. I like using it enough that I may look into
getting the RF fixed and adding a 40mm to make a light outfit. I like
it better than the screw mount CV bodies (I have never tried the newer
M mount and AE bodies). Although I used to think it would be a problem,
the lack of manual metering is not a big deal; the infrequent occasions
that I do not like the AE selected speed it is quick to apply
compensation or switch to manual and use an external meter or vary the
remembered reading. I do not especially like the M6 or CV match diode
manual metering anyhow (it does not quickly show how far off the
exposure setting is- the CL or M5 are another matter), so its absence
does not feel like much of a loss.