Subject: [Leica] Re Leica: Colorprints from negative or positive colorfilms?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon Jan 23 05:18:31 2006

on 1/23/06 4:40 AM, Stein Rune Johansen at sterujo@online.no wrote:

> Hello!
> Is there someone outhere having experience with prints from colorpositiv
> film
> compared to prints from colornegative film. I am only using corlornegative
> film, but sometimes get disappointed with the colorsaturation in the
> prints.
> Will prints from ex. Velvia 50 be more saturated?
>
> Stein Rune Johansen

It depends on how the prints are made.  If your film is scanned and printed
digitally numeraous adjustments can be made to the imge data before
printing, bearing in mind the image properties lost in gaining saturation.

If you increase saturation by switching to Velvia you will probably
sacrifice some shadow or highlight detail, or both, because of Velvia's more
limited exposure latitude.  Likewise, increasing saturation in an
image-editing program like Photoshop probably will sacrifice some tonal
gradation.

I find that for the best combination of saturation and tonal gradation for a
particular film you should use a camera lens that produces a minimum of
flare.  Even when bright lights are not within the picture area, light
reflecting off the lens surfaces can reduce the color saturation.  In some
lenses this effect is negligible and in other lenses the difference is
significant.

As a rule of thumb a lens with more air/glass surfaces will be more likely
to flare than one with fewer, everthing else being equal (which they rarely
are).  Also a multi-coated lens is less likely to flare than an older
single-coated or uncoated lens.  There are exceptions to this rule-of-thumb
and neither multi-coating nor fewer air/glass surfaces is a universal
panacea, but theses are things optical engineers consider when designing a
lens.  Always use an appropriate lens hood to minimize stray light's
influence on your pictures.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com