Subject: [Leica] the lower 9th ward... etc
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon Jan 23 17:18:27 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 5:56 PM, SonC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/23/2006 6:32:44 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> kididdoc@cox.net writes:
>
> the  world is unaware of all this (see above and below... )  . People
> are out there taking photos in Iraq and Niger, and many other God
> forsaken places... so forget the mud.... and get out there and get
> some quality photos...
>
> I believe you are missing the chance of a  lifetime...
>
> Steve
>

> Steve,
> I understand what you are saying, but this is like a surgeon
> operating on
> his own child.  You would do it it a minute to save their life, but
> for  guys
> like Jeffery and me, who adopted New Orleans, and gave much of our
> careers  to
> the lovely city.. well, it is just heartbreaking for me to see my
> Parish
> church with waterlines eight feet up the wall, to see the pews that
> I sat in  week
> after week all jumbled up.

I think you must do it to save its life...

> To see a picture of a house I took and renovated from a shell, now
> stripped
> of the life, to see a picture of my children's school completely
> gutted.
>
> Jeffery's Church was ruined, Mine too.  This is hard.  My friend
> Chuck Patch
> who does work like mine for the New Orleans Collection, says he
> goes  out
> every week after trying to clean his house, and just cannot get
> anything  that is
> different.
>
> Steve, you just cannot imagine how fucked up most of New Orleans is
> right
> now.
>
> Makes me cry.

Dear Sonny....  I can feel it.....Do it to save its life....it will
help the city, be invaluable to others, and will likely help you
profoundly....

I just wrote a note to Jeffery....and I will copy it to here....

"I understand Jeffery, I feel radiating from you and our other
friends there, the paralysis,  the horrible pain and difficulty that
this presents to all those who live there and love the city...

that is in part, why it simply must be done...

the more it hurts, the more it must be done...

one approach might be to select the important and familiar...a
landmark, an intersection, the broken levy.... and photograph it each
week, clearly documented  and dated..."

godspeed...
Steve