Subject: [Leica] Re: The lower 9th ward
From: firkin at gexrp01.ncable.net.au (firkin)
Date: Mon Jan 23 19:25:24 2006

G'day Jeffery,
it is so hard to imagine the many facets of the destruction you are seeing
first hand. Here in Australia, it tends to be bush fires which reek this
sort of utter devastation, though the scale has never been on such a human
scale. Please keep the reports coming, even if we only read them, its a
potent reminder to all

Cheers

Jeffery Smith writes:

> I understand, and I'm getting to the point of facing it. If things were
> back
> to normal down here, it would be easy. But it is a 25 minute drive through
> abandoned neighborhoods just reaching the lower 9th ward. The upper 9th
> ward
> has people living in abandoned lots in tents. There is still no
> electricity,
> no traffic lights, and no police. I've never witnessed this degree of
> devastation before. I'm also suffering from some "survivor guilt" as my
> house is antebellum and is on high ground. Inside my walls, things are back
> to normal. Most of the people (students and personnel) at the college lost
> their houses and are living with relatives in other cities or in FEMA
> trailers. I'm going to try to find someone to go with me Saturday. I don't
> feel safe walking around there when there is really no city left.
>
> Jeffery Smith
> New Orleans, LA
> http://www.400tx.com

Alastair Firkin