Subject: [Leica] Painting cameras, the ALPA black crackle finish
From: jackherron at cox.net (Jack C. Herron)
Date: Tue Jan 24 11:03:19 2006

Vick,
    Wrinkle finishes, as opposed to crackle, which are something different,
are created by spraying a special paint, waiting a specified time, say three
minutes, then laying down another coat.  The wrinkling effect is caused by
the solvents in the second coat softening and expanding the partially dried
first coat.  This is really just a rigidly controlled example of the failure
one experiences when you do not allow adequated drying time between coats of
normal paint and get a catastrophic wrinkle.
    On the plus side, the paint, or I should say, a paint can be obtained in
aerosol cans from most full service paint stores or art stores, usually in
grey or black.  For the effect the process is reasonably uncritical.  Making
a reasonable attempt to follow the manfactorers directions will result in a
wrinkle of some sort, acceptable for normal uses, ie, cases on electronic
instruments.
    On the negative side, obtaining a specific pattern of wrinkling is
critically dependant on many variables, all of which must be held to close
tolerances which are difficult in the home shop.  The effect is dependant,
among other things, on the thickness of the first coat, the drying time
between coats, the temperature and relative humidity, the thickness of the
second coat, the temperature of the final drying (the wrinkling can be
hastened by heating in an oven) and the skill with which an absolutely
uniform series of coats is applied to a 3 dimensional object.  Also it is
likely that the paint that ALPA uses is not the same as that commercially
available.
    I have to admit that I think it unlikely that one would succeed in
matching the ALPA coating, but--
    Having said that, I would, and would encourage you, to go buy a couple
of cans, practice with some flat surfaces, cut some wood blocks to
approximate camera bodies, practice some more and see what you get.  You
might get what you want, in which case, your problem will be to do exactly
the same thing again.  You might also find a custom variation which you like
better,  your own unique finish.
    In any event, it is only a couple of bucks and should be a lot of fun.

Keep pressing the paint can button, it'll come unstuck!

Cheers,
Jack
Jack C. Herron
8118 E. 20th St.