Subject: [Leica] PAW - Week 3 - Jeffery
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jan 24 20:40:55 2006

Jeffery Smith said:
> Part of the challenge down there is finding something
> recognizable to shoot. The second problem was that my 50mm lens seemed
> almost like a telephoto. I have gotten used to shooting wides (35mm and
> wider), and to now be aiming at a house required me to "back up" a lot. I
> think I'm going to try to shoot this weekend with just two lenses. What
> they
> might be, I don't know, but I don't want more than two cameras hanging off
> me.
> > 35 and 50?<<<

Hi Jeffery,
My thought after seeing your pictures I'd be working a 15mm or 21mm as
almost the main lens and a 35mm.  Maybe the 50 in pocket just in case.

I think what you need to keep in your pictures is the wide area of
devastation to continue  illustrating how vast it is. It maybe over as a
news item, but obviously it's far from being over as an on going situation.
Your documentation is an absolute necessity if no one else is doing it.

An event like this occurs and news people do their thing while it's
happening because it's hot news. Today rarely does it come to mind to the
rest of the world as any tragedy of this magnitude, it's forgotten. That's
why, as hard as it is for you documenting the aftermath I don't have any
doubt you living there have the opportunity of a lifetime in your backyard,
so to speak must document it.

If no one else is doing it, I'd be trying to find some kind of financial
assistance to do it as an official project until it's finally cleaned-up.
However long that maybe.

In your case where you are skilled at wider glass I'd opt for the same in
this situation. You need the wide scene look, then go in with the 35 for
tighter slices of things. As far as close-ups? Well for my money I'd shoot
only the story telling type similar to the child's barnacle covered rifle
and subjects of that type.

Last piece of advice I'd not ever go alone!!!!!!! Period!

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4