Subject: [Leica] Lower 9th Ward - 21 images
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jan 29 14:44:17 2006

Jeffery Smith showed: "The weather war of the world day after!"
>>> This is a sampling of 21 frames from my first two rolls of Tri-X shot
>>> last
> week. I have 7 more rolls that are at the lab now. When I get those
> scanned
> and reviewed, I will probably pare this group down to half a dozen shots.
>
> http://www.400tx.com/9th-1.html
>
> The Tri-X is a bit gritty. I may make another trek with Acros or Agfa 100
> next week. <<<<<<<

Jeffery lad,
Oh, whatever you do, don't worry about the Tri-x gritty look that's what
adds to the over all look of these un-worldly looking scenes.  Besides there
isn't one common sense reason in the world to be concerned about fine grain
with this type of devastation. Leave it be with the film, stick with the
Tri-x and maintain the look.

This is dramatic reality, not some camera club fine grain tonal art
pictures. It is a once in a life time moment where the grit, grime, death
and destruction should be recorded as real and as visually strong as
possible with no concern for fine grain.

Look if this were Robert Capa shooting and or many of the old time greats,
they'd make sure the grittier it looked the better. And their instructions
to the darkroom would be just that, "make 'em look gutsy!" Fine grained be
damned!

You are producing high end photojournalism documentary photography, so just
keep doing what you're doing and don't mess with the system in the middle of
the street! And hopefully the pea brained authorities don't screw it up with
their stupidity by stopping you from moving about..

I do believe I suggested some time ago a kind of police issued "recognized
authority" badge or ID card hanging off your neck or carried that would keep
the hounds at bay, as you've already encountered, these "security fools"
aren't any brighter today than the days of the storm.

And of course you look as much like a terrorist as Santa Claus, ;-) but if
the guard doesn't have a brain what matters, he wouldn't recognize Santa
either. ;-)

You're doing a splendid job with this so far, don't let any "iIligitamus
Carbarundumous" screw it up...

English meaning? "Don't let the bastards grind you down." ;-)

Damn fine work indeed. Is there any possibility you would offer these photos
to the wire services or publications of international interest?  But then
again you do like living in your country at the moment don't you? ;-)

And I can't think of a faster way to be given a fast track ride to another
location, obviously not of your choosing, if they were given major play
across the world. OK OK I'll leave it be, not my place. ;-)

keep 'em coming Jeffery can hardly wait for the next batch.

ted

Replies: Reply from wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith) ([Leica] Lower 9th Ward - 21 images--the cars?)
Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Lower 9th Ward - 21 images)