Subject: [Leica] Advice wanted: TRI-X development setup
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jan 29 18:31:51 2006

On 1/27/06 2:26 PM, "Jeffery Smith" <jsmith342@cox.net> typed:

> You are in exactly the same situation that I was in several years ago. I
> tried
> XTOL (1:1) many times as it seemed to be the hands-down favorite among B&W
> shooters. I couldn't get good, scannable negatives. I tried Paterson's FX50
> (another ascorbic acid developer) and got negs so thin, they were
> unusable. I
> ordered some Bluefire Police film two weeks ago, and it arrived completely
> demolished by the USPS (like someone stomped on the envelope with combat

> Jeffery

At 1:1 Xtol is mush. Mush! I say! Worse negs than about any developer I've
ever used. Usually it's not the developer that counts its the dilution. And
Ansel said that as well to the effect, In our discussions about Xtol on the
LUG no one talks about using it that full strength. It's either 1:3 which is
the "classic" or 1:2 for those who chicken out,

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/