Subject: [Leica] Braun Scanner: More clarification
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jan 31 07:51:06 2006

OK, it seems that the 4000 and the Pacific  Imaging machine are not exactly
the same with just a software addition to the  Braun.  This email from Jerry
Skapof who is the dealer who brought it to my  attention on the Archives
list.

Sonny
---------

HI...We have  only sold 1 Braun scanner so far, and that one went to JJT.
It's hard for  me to make a comparative placement since it's purpose is
scanning
lots of slides  in a single batch, and believing spec. sheet numbers about
pixels and Dmax is  more an exercise in faith based imaging.

We picked up the Braun because  it would scan whole trays at a time, and
many
art departments and medical  schools had tons of slides needing fast
economical conversion. To see how it  will hold up in the library/museum
world, we
will be testing it at Boston Photo  Imaging in about 2 weeks.

Three companies designed the 3600 model.   Braun designed the unit with
Reflective in Europe and marketed there. The third  partner indeed was
Pacific
Imaging. They built the guts and marketed it here in  the states under their
name.
Since then, the two European companies have parted  company and re-done the
original 3600 and renamed it Braun 4000 (so much for  corporate
machinations).
Pacific has no role in this new unit and does not  market it under its name.

I have spoken to the US distributor, and  they have pledged a demo unit for
testing in April as soon as the photo industry  trade show season is over. I
also found out the an additional 10 units have been  sold in the US but all
Photo Labs.

If anyone would be  interested in conducting a test sometime in April,
please
contact me off line, I  would appreciate the help in determining if this
device is appropriate for the  academic community beyond access and
instructional
conversion...Jer

Jerome Skapof, Ed.D

Jerry