Subject: [Leica] Re:Kodachrome
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Tue Jan 31 18:24:58 2006

Tina Manley wrote:

>Not me!!  I'm allergic to all of those chemical solutions.  Since
>Kodak switched to Qualchrome for Kodachrome processing and ruined
>lots of my irreplaceable film, I've totally given up on Kodak
>positive film.  I might consider some E-6 film that I can develop
>myself, but I'll never trust Kodak with my film developing
>again.  Thank God for digital!!

Tina, I've had my E6 films screwed up by hoity-toity custom labs too (and by
myself also), so Kodak is not unique in the occasional negligence
department..

But as someone who has just had returned to him 18 rolls of perfectly
handled Kodachrome, I have to say: Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away!

At this moment in time, due to the fact that the pharmacy around the corner
handles it for me (just like the old days), processing Kodachrome is
actually the easiest of all pro-grade films for me. And the results? There
ain't nothing like it, especially with Leica glass.

As for digital, well. .. To view my K-chrome slides, all I need is...LIGHT,
either via a handy window or any old light bulb, illumination sources easily
accessed just about everywhere all the time. No need for a $1000+
persnickety power-hungry machine to view some virtual reality impression of
an electro-magnetic signal.

I have in my hands a real colourful object with the image right there on it.

I'd rather fight than switch.

Emanuel