Subject: [Leica] The DM-R has landed!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Feb 1 13:38:17 2006

Frank Dernie said:
>>> Talking of equivalent film speed has anybody tried the film trick of
> pushing 2 stops at the 800 asa setting and "correcting" exposure in  the
> RAW convertor?
> Could work - may give it a try myself on my digital.<<<

But Frank for $6000. why would the photographer have to screw around
fiddling things as you suggest? When a Canon 20D and or whatever other Canon
models do it with such simplicity as dialling up the number and capturing
incredible positive results?

I also realize many on the list never think there can possibly be any kind
of fine quality at those ASA ratings. That of course is because they've
never had to "work for a living" at producing photographs without any excuse
of.. "oh it was too dark!" Nor have they taken the time to find out what can
happen when you do shoot under those kind of light conditions.

I'm sure the new breed at Leica Germany have forgotten what the hell Leica's
were used for... "shooting quickly, quietly and with no screwing around."
And if the new "M digital Leica" can't reach ASA 1600-3200 they can kiss a
bunch of dedicated M Leica carrying photojournalists good bye no matter how
nice and shiny it looks!

I don't doubt for one second there are ways this DMR unit can be fiddled to
get a sort of 1600-3200 rating, but for the dollars, why the hell should any
one pay the money for it when it defeats the quiet, quick operation of using
a Leica? R or other wise?

I'm gong to wait until some one makes a believer out of me before I spend a
farthing on a DMR! Hell I'd buy another 20D first!

ted

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] The DM-R has landed!)
Reply from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] The DM-R has landed!)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] The DM-R has landed!)
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] The DM-R has landed!)