Subject: [Leica] Serenar 50/1.8
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu Feb 2 22:32:19 2006

Here's a wide-open happy snap from my first roll with my recently-bought
and newly CLAed Canon Serenar 50/1.8.  It's a genuine happy snap because
the people are happy, and I snapped 'em.  :-)  This one prints up very nice
as a sepia-tone carbon inkjet print.

http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/E020MaraCarl.htm

I like this lens!  Critical sharpness evaluation will have to wait for some
slide film (if I bother).  But what I can see is that stopped down, it is
virtually indistinguishable from a modern 50 Summicron, but slightly less
contrasty.  Note that this is on ISO 400 B&W film.  Wide open, it is not
quite as sharp as a Summicron, but perfectly usable.  And the bokeh is very
nice, not as wiry as the current Summicron.

M6TTL, I believe 1/50 at f/1.8, maybe f/2.  Neopan 400., D76 1:1, low res
scan by a local pro lab, with a slight curve tweak and sharpening.

--Peter