Subject: [Leica] Re: Another 18 photos from the 9th Ward
From: Engl6914 at cableone.net (Lee England)
Date: Sun Feb 5 06:43:25 2006

Ted Grant wrote:
> I haven't seen any major TV or
> newspaper stories of clean-up. Is there any? And if there are, as a
> comparison maybe some pictures might be in order illustrating that cleaning
> is going on despite the still desolate areas we're seeing. A sort of
> comparison date to date.

There are no stories because there is no clean-up.  Honestly.  If there were
any clean-up going on you would have seen some in Jeffrey's shots.  I drove
through Mid-City for miles and miles and saw one man cleaning up around his
home.  The problem is there's no place for any clean-up workers or
homeowners to live.  That man probably drove into town for the day from
where he was staying 100 miles away.  Clean up some and go back for the
night.  And even if you clean up your place the other homeowners around you
probably have no way of getting back in to clean up.  They may be staying in
Memphis, or Atlanta.  You would clean up your own place and still everything
around you would look like hell.  There's no place to stay, and  there's no
electricity; Entergy has been forced to stay in bankruptcy and has no money
to repair the power grid.

Lee England
Natchez, Mississippi

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Re: Another 18 photos from the 9th Ward)