Subject: [Leica] Re: Kodachrome processing
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Feb 7 10:00:16 2006

OMG - drug store soda fountains....sigh...it's been so long....back to
my childhood when the really COOL guys were hired by Faulkerson's to
be soda jerks and could mix you up anything you wanted from the
various syrups and fizzy water. They wore the white caps, white
shirts, the counters always filled with girls.

But it died about 1965 when the counter no longer made economic sense.

Of course there was K's Hamburgers with the booths and individual
jukeboxes, red counters, where everyone who was cool (so hardly ever
me) hung out after school.

Remarkably K's is still there, almost unchanged, on Main Street in
Troy, Ohio. But the candy shop, owned by Greeks who made fabulous
candies, is long gone along with the drug store with its marble
floors, wood display cases with glass tops and sides, the one in the
very back on the right with medical instruments on display -
horrendous looking things that informed me NEVER to have one used on
me - they even delivered.

A way of life gone. Now everything is chains - WalMart on the
outskirts while the downtown languishes. It hurts to go back.

Adam