Subject: [Leica] I have given up
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Tue Feb 7 16:48:48 2006

Marc James Small wrote:
> I no longer take pictures.  I am not at present equipped with a darkroom
> though I suspect that I shall be again within a six-month or so.  I have no
> ability with digital and my efforts to learn from this group about digital
> have simply convinced me that I have no idea whjat anyone is talking about.
>  I have a VERY basic digital P&S and I cannot make it work.  My wife has a
> very basic digital P&S and can on rare occasion make it work.  But neither
> of us can obtain any sort of regular success from digital, nor can either
> of us comprehend such software as Photoshop.  (And, no, we are not computer
> jerks:  my wife is a director of quality control for a major HMO and I have
> been dicking about with computers for twenty years and more.)
>
> What I am saying is that digital has juist absolutely sucked out of me any
> interest in photography.  I would like to find a list where we could get
> back to figuring out the Leitz dingus which allowed a PLOOT to be fitted to
> a QUANGO.  That's my place.  I really do not belong on a Leica Users' Group
> and will probably soon retire from this province as I simply no longer wish
> to take pictures.
>
> Digital wins.  I lose.

Hi Marc,

You are more than welcome to borrow my darkroom when you are in the
neighborhood. You can print from 35mm on a focomat 1C to 4x5 inch.
On digital I can only say it takes as long to master it as it does to
master silver based printing. I take small steps at a time, read a lot,
talk to other people and lurk the forums. I still don't own a photo
printer because I don't think I have enough knowledge to get good
results. I do however have a scanner and/or have the lab make scans of
my negatives. I experiment with these in photoshop to find out what is
possible. Just step by step.
Anyhow, personally I get much more satisfaction out of wet printing than
the digital work flow. But digital is sometimes just more convenient
and/or faster.
Just don't give up,

Cheers,

Michiel