Subject: [Leica] Lone posey - a return to the analog domain
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Thu Feb 9 11:28:16 2006

Adam:

>I took a lot of pictures but I liked this one simply because of the
>single blossom amid the hodge-podge of ground cover:
>
><http://www.adambridge.com/Photos/2006/02/05/TX400-2006-02-05-Davis-6.jpg>

I like, too.  Well seen.

>I processed this in XTOL 1:3 @ 68 degrees, manually. But this time I
>played with the agitation, reasoning that in its stronger
>concentration at the start of processing I should agitate more and
>then, as the developer was moving toward exhaustion, agitation should
>be curtailed so I agitated every 30 seconds for the first 4 minutes
>and then every minute there-after.

I wonder if the difference between agitating every 30s vs 60s is really
going to jump out of a scan.  From what I've seen, most scanners are the
great equalizers.  Makes everything just a little bit more mushy.  Lose a
little bit of detail that would have been retained in a straight wet print.

Would be very interesting to see a comparison of identically exposed
negatives agitated slightly differently like you did to see if there's any
visible difference in the final print, especially if you scan and then print
digitally.  Would be interesting if somebody else aside from myself does it,
that is.  :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/