Subject: [Leica] R8
From: nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts)
Date: Thu Feb 9 16:28:16 2006

I have the 25 and 28 f2.8s, and I consider the 28(MM)
to be a lot better than my (German) 25. I also use the
50 and 85 f1.4s, the 135 f2.8 and 180 f2.8. I'm a huge
fan of the 85 as well. I've always loved the Contaxes,
and they're why I've not gone down the R route - well,
the fact that they cost me a lot less than the
equivalent R gear helps, of course! That and the fact
that I love the RX, and am happy enough with my older
Contax bodies too.

Nick

--- David Rodgers <drodgers@casefarms.com> wrote:

> Nick,
>
> I had a 28/2.8 and thought it was on par with the
> 25/2,8. The 28/2.8 was
> an  MM and made in Japan. Though equal or better
> optically, MM lenses
> didn't feel as solid as the German made AE lenses. I
> have an 85/1.4,
> 50/1.4, 25/2.8 and 60/2.8, and all are AE. The
> 85/1.4 is a favorite,
> especially since I have a bevy of 67mm BW MC
> filters, which right now
> are probably more valuable than the lens itself.
>
> I used the 85/1.4 a lot when I shot weddings. I
> could shoot it side by
> side with my Hasselblad and the color balance
> matched perfectly (back in
> the day when that mattered).
>
> However, of all lenses I've owned my 28/2.8 Elmarit
> R was special. I was
> perusing through some prints the other day and
> thought, "wow, why did I
> ever get rid of that lens." I don't think I'll ever
> have the same
> passion about lenses in the post digital era.
> Because with digital it's
> as much the body.
>
> I kept my 28/2.8 Elmarit up until I sold my R7. I
> almost didn't sell it,
> but I've learned my lesson in fertility. One piece
> of Leica R leads to
> many pieces.
>
> I had a 28/2 Contax and that was special too,
> especially in low light.
> But it was a big and heavy and someone made me an
> offer I couldn't'
> refuse. That's a lens I'd look to buy now except I
> don't know how long
> my Contax ST body will last.
>
> I had more trouble with Contax bodies than all my
> other SLRs combined.
> No major failures. Just little annoyances. For
> instance, as long as I
> can remember my ST has displayed the incorrect f
> stop in the viewfinder.
> But exposure is right on the money, so I've lived
> with it. I have an RTS
> II that I really liked. But it died and can't be
> fixed.
>
> BTW, I'm looking for an Aria body if anyone ever
> comes across one.
>
> DaveR

NEW Yahoo! Cars - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used cars
online! http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/