Subject: [Leica] Re:Travel to NOLA
From: zoeica1 at yahoo.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Thu Feb 9 21:20:29 2006

Buy an old hummer, preferbly tan or sand color. Make sure you cover up the
Arabic signs after purchase though, you may have to resell once you leave
N.O. And bring lots of spare tires. Weapons may be needed, I hear the NG
will be pulling out soon. Also bring plenty of water, though N.O. is
surrounded by water, there is little water in case of a fire. Don't forget
there is still no 911.

  Actually if you fly, Southwest or Continental has great prices to N.O.,
just don't attempt this the last week of Feb since Mardi Gras rates are
ripoffs. I've been making the Tampa to New Orleans trips for $170 roundtrip.

  Here's the sukkkk part. Hotels are back in the price gouging business. I
stayed at 2 4-star hotels before New Year's for under $100. Now the same
hotels are back to $299 prices. And you can bet the week of Mardi Gras will
see higher rates.

  Food easy to come by in the Qtr and on St Charles, though lines are still
long. There's always the Shell Station at Lee Circle for gas and quick
snacks. Do honk before entering, there's around 300 immgrants standing
everywhere in the way.

  Near the convention center(yes, the now famous site), there are plenty of
hotels in the $150 range. Hilton Garden Inn is a good choice. And internet
access tends to work most of the time. If you're lucky you may find a B&B in
the Fr Qtr or Garden District for a decent price.

  Or of course just show up on Jeff's doorstep, I'm sure he'll trade room
and board for a decent CV lens. Or a full case of D-76.

  I applaud Jeff, he's a brave man for sticking it out down there. Great
shots, er images.

  Chris Williams
  former N'awlins

Scott McLoughlin <scott@adrenaline.com> wrote:
  What are the logistics of getting down there and finding
a place to stay these days?

Scott

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Re:Travel to NOLA)