Subject: [Leica] Re: world press winners 2006
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Feb 11 18:54:45 2006

This question of the morality of the new photographer or reporter for
not "helping" in some way seems to be big these days. I was watching a
news piece about the coverage in the UK of the earthquake in Pakistan.
There was an outcry, it seems, that the BBC crew who covered it was,
in fact, immoral and preying on the victims by their coverage -
exploiting their suffering.

I find this a very disquieting argument because, in essence, it can be
applied to almost anything. Stick in the word "exploit" and you're
bound to get an emotional response devoid of anything like
intellectual rigor.

How can we know what is happening if there aren't photographers and
reporters to cover it? As long as they are working to expose the
situation as they see it - and they work to understand what is
happening around them and remember to understand the people they are
covering, then they must do their job least we never know.

The argument about morality is not one I find easy to respect.

Adam