Subject: [Leica] Concrete buildings on UC Davis - ick
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon Feb 13 20:07:31 2006

Jeffery, you wouldn't recognize Winters now. It's growing along the
foothills and outside - people driving I-505 into the Bay Area and
Sacramento now. The victorians are all being remodeled and now they
have The Palms which moved from Davis a few years ago. It's still a
very very civil little town. The Buckhorn still makes the best
Tri-tips in Yolo County.

Unfortunately UCD has pushed the campus core density way up. It's
still bikes and pedestrians only, thank God but now there are 27,000
students. I was at UCD only a few years after it became a general
campus (before then it had been the university farm and is the largest
land grant college in the US).

Davis was about 18,000 in 1971, now it's 60,000 and only because it
has been intensely no-growth. Which has done wonders for the value of
my home but changed the face of the town in not-so-nice ways.

Adam