Subject: [Leica] Ballet Tryout Submission Photos
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Feb 14 07:58:46 2006

>I'm going to be spending more time looking at the curve settings in Vuescan
>to see if that helps. Perhaps a switch to Nikon's scanning software.
>The Vuescan help facility is rather thin. My recollection of the Nikon Help
>facility is that it too was less then detailed.
>Regards,
>Greg

Greg

If you want to set the curves in the scanning program, then Silferfast AI is
the only choice. Nikon's and Vuescan's options are quite poor. But my
experience (after I have just scanned over B&W 100 rolls in the past 2
weeks) is that it is better to fiddle the curves afterwards in Photoshop -
this way the whole workflow gets faster. That's why I'm actually evaluating
a demo copy of Vuescan, as for straight batch scanning (entire rolls) it is
maybe even better and faster than Silverfast.
Just scan all rolls with an average setting. Important is that you scan in
16-bit not 8-bit mode, otherwise you loose a lot of information and
adjusting in PS gets problematic.

Didier