Subject: [Leica] Sharpening - was: A very fleeting blossom
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Feb 17 15:54:29 2006

At 2:03 PM -0800 2/17/06, Adam Bridge wrote:
>Be aware that sharpened files using this software, which I have and
>use, can be VAST because they do use layers and Photoshop doesn't do
>much of anything in compressing layers. So files of >100 MBytes are
>likely.
>
>It also will test your computer's CPU. If you are using full-frame
>scans from film, or from a full-frame digital camera, you're going to
>do some industrial-strength work on that puppy.
>
>I got out of the practice of using it for that reason except on
>finished pieces. Photoshop will, in the next version as I understand
>it, allow better use of memory than it currently does and that should
>help.
>
>So, be aware that you'll be sucking up serious resources of every
>kind: RAM, disk, and CPU when you use these sharpening filters.
>
>Adam BrIDGE

I use the software regularly for my stuff, and use it like this:
import RAW file, use the input sharpener, flatten the image and then
do the curves, local contrast enhancement or whatever, and then save
that when done as my archive file. Then I resize for desired output,
convert to 8 bit, do the output sharpening and flatten again, and
maybe save as a high quality jpeg if I think I'll need that exact
size again soon. Otherwise I don't save that because it's easy to
redo as required.

In this way the file doesn't increase in size, and the whole thing
moves along fairly quickly. At the moment I don't have a fast
machine; my fastest was considered fast 4 years ago. On scanned 16
bit 4000dpi files the input sharpening is fairly slow and I have to
watch the progress bars, but not on the output scans. I don't have a
16mp camera, but the 12.8mp files aren't too bad.