Subject: [Leica] re: Porsche
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Sat Feb 18 17:49:57 2006

There was some mention of Porsche in the last digest. Like Leica,
Porsche is one of the great products of Germany. M?rklin trains
certainly count among them, too.

There was mention of Butzi Porsche. My understanding is that he had a
lot to do with the design of the 911. His father was Ferry Porsche, his
grandfather Ferdinand (father of the VW bug). I believe it was Ferry
who was associated with the 356. Butzi's first cousin, Ferdinand Piech,
worked on the engine, if my memory serves me right. His mother was
Ferry's sister, ie. Ferdinand's daughter. Am I right in remembering
that Ernst Fuhrman is the name associated with Porsche engine work?

As I recall, both Ferdinand and Butzi left the company. Piech went to
Audi and eventually became head of VW. Butzi founded his own design
company, but eventually returned to Porsche cars.

Well, in any case, if you  want to buy a wonderful car, buy a Porsche.
The old ones, at least, had character. The only car I know that had a
distinctive character were the old pre 1992 or 93  Saab 900s. Both cars
drove distinctively. The 900s replacement had a generic quality. I
don't know if the new 911s still feel as  unique when you drive them.

These are my opinions, of course, and you all my feel differently.

Best--Doug

Replies: Reply from raimo.m.korhonen at uusikaupunki.fi (Raimo K) ([Leica] re: Porsche)