Subject: [Leica] silver vs pixels
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Feb 20 07:20:29 2006

At 08:52 PM 2/19/2006, you wrote:
I used to find that something akin to this was true. This essentially
>isn't true anymore (very recently) given the most recent advances in
>digital printing i.e. the K3 inks/printers -- I use the Epson 4800
>and I also have the older 2200 -- the difference is real. There is a
>paper just about to be commercially released: Crane's Silver Rag
>which provides a  very close look to traditional air dried fiber.
>Jonathan

I agree with you Jonathan.  I think most people who prefer silver
have never seen a good digital print.  I'm using the 4800 now with
ImagePrint profiles and the results are much better than any silver
print I ever made or had printed by a lab.  I'm embarrassed now by
the first digital prints I made and thought were good. Crane's Museo
Silver Rag is getting wonderful reviews compared to air-dried silver
prints.  I can't wait to try it, but I'm not as concerned about
comparing the prints to silver prints because I know they are
better.  I love to try out the different surfaces like watercolor
papers that give a totally different look from silver prints.  Try
doing that in the darkroom!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com