Subject: [Leica] Digital vs Cibachrome
From: dnygr at cshore.com (dnygr)
Date: Mon Feb 20 13:30:41 2006

Frank, I agree, both can co-exist. If one needs to make many prints of the
same photo, digital has its advantages. The process of a digital
internegative also is an option.

Cibas are great. They just glow.

A friend, however, thinks differently. His opinion is worth hearing because
he was a topnotch ciba printer. He claims, however, that his digital work
exceeds the quality of his Ciba prints.

His name is Bill Burt and his specialty is bird and marsh photography. He
has printed books on these topics and he was a friend of Roger Tori
Peterson.

Bill works from transparencies and has a top end Imacon scanner, as does my
friend who makes digital internegatives.

It seems to me that if one is going digital, it is a good idea to keep film
somewhere in the equation.

I think it is also true that to make a good print, you've got to work at it
and you've got to have good taste. Getting good taste is not easy. Some
people may be born with it; most are not.

Best--Doug