Subject: [Leica] Bogus M2-R Auction
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Mon Feb 20 15:34:36 2006

Douglas Sharp writes:

> Is this the shop in Pied Bull Yard? If so - a few years ago there was a
> lot of rather heated discussion in the German photo press about how
> serious this company was. Many wrote warnings against having any
> dealings with them - I don't know whether these were just isolated
> complaints (mostly about price and higher quality ratings than
> deserved)  . The magazine didn't recommend the shop in their
> article about photo shops in London.

Douglas,

Unless there are two of them it is the Pied Bull Yard shop.

Here is their URL:  http://www.theclassiccamera.com/hermes/shop

And if you click on the link "Used M Bodies" you'll come across this listing:

"Leica M2/M2-R Conversion Black

Serial No. 1164803 Black painted enamel but originally chrome. Converted to
M4 type film loading. Exc++/Mint minus condition"

Same camera per serial number, same price as the posted Ebay "Buy it Now"
price. No long story claiming that the US Army "expertly painted (it) with
black paint", "no signs of brassing" yet, etc., etc. Aknowledgement that
they are selling a chrome Leica camera that has been converted to the M4
film loading system.

I bet you could wait forever and this camera is not going to brass with use.

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Bogus M2-R Auction)