Subject: [Leica] Bogus M2-R Auction
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Mon Feb 20 18:58:29 2006

Playing Hercule Poirot can be fun. Douglas, maybe there's a partial
explanation here. I had fogotten the M2S, introduced while I was still using
a IIIf and a Minox B, before I went Leica-M and wasn't paying any attention
to things Wetzlarian. I suppose that it is possible that this camera is an
M2S although my guess is that Leitz would have engraved M2S on its topplate
as it engraved M2R on that body. The camera in question is engraved M2, not
M2S, not M2R. A knowledgeable dealer should know that characteristic. In
addition, the photo of this camera on the site shows an M2R instruction
booklet or pamphlet, clearly suggesting an intent to mislead. No matter how
we wiggle, it don't pass the smell test.