Subject: C-41 Processing [was Re: [Leica] Random evil thoughts]
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed Feb 22 18:38:18 2006

Hi Marc,
I don't think that I was clear as to what I was discussing.  I believe that
Alastair mentioned the possibility of acquiring a used commercial C-41
machine for home use.  I was responding to that as the commercial leader
card machines are set up for continuous use and don't like sitting for days
with the on switch off.  Chemistry goes bad, cross overs get crystals of
interesting design to scratch your film, bleach goes bad if not oxygenated,
and of course developer oxidizes into brown sludge.

Of course, used the way they are supposed to be used, temperature are held
within 0.1 of those Centigrade whatevers and the negatives are extremely
consistent as the process is very well controlled.

For home use, there are a number of C-41 kits that work very well at close
to normal temperatures.  The problem with home kits is that so far
commercial labs will do a great job on your negs for a couple of bucks a
roll with almost no effort on our part.

Last, I believe that your difficulties with printing C-41 at home traces to
the home kits.  If your temperature was held to normal B&W standards then
each set of rolls will print with a very different filter pack and contrast
will be all over the range.  Admittedly, at the lower temperatures of home
systems you do have a few seconds to drain and move on whereas at commercial
temperatures the couple of seconds extra in the developer will lead to
noticeable contrast increase: unless it is more than a few seconds in which
case you start to get a very noticeable decrease in contrast and very
blocked highlights.

Again, if you spend the money for a Jobo or equivalent equipment then the
temperatures and timing are taken care of so your printing becomes much
easier.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com