Subject: [Leica] The better-than-a-Paterson reel
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Thu Feb 23 13:31:14 2006

For months, I had fits with Paterson reels because they seemed to bind up
when I got the film 3/4 of the way onto the reel. I solved that problem (no,
they weren't wet...the leading edge of the film needed to have a smooth
taper on its edges, like a tongue). Then problem #2 arose: When I got the
film 5/7 of the way onto the reel, the tight curl of the film would cause
the film to pop out from under the ball bearings, and it was impossible to
get it back in.

Enter the Samigon reel. It looks almost exactly like a Paterson plastic
reel, but doesn't appear to be able to expand out to 120 size. No big deal.
The only other way it differs from the Paterson reel is that the plastic
tabs guiding the film into the reel are ENORMOUS rather than little
protuberances. I cannot imagine that the film will pop out of the track (but
give me time to try them). They fit the Paterson tanks perfectly, hugging
the center tube just like a Paterson reel.

Now maybe I can emerge from the downstairs bathroom with 2 reels of loaded
film and no sweat pouring off my face.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com