Subject: [Leica] Voigtlander-Cosina wide lenses
From: bruent at shaw.ca (Bruce)
Date: Sat Feb 25 11:55:29 2006

> So, I was wondering if any (or many) on this list were regular VC
> users -
> 21mm or otherwise - and what your words of wisdom might be in the
> regards
> these lenses.
These lenses are very good, though I found this wide-angle thing to be
something of a slippery slope. I started with the 21mm as a wider (than
the 35mm I mostly use) second lens for travel and walk-about
photography (it is small and light and easy to have around). I found
myself using it more often than I expected, which lead to curiosity and
even craving for something even wider. Enter the 15mm, also small and
light, more expensive, said to be much more specialized, and... I end
up using it even more than the 21. Sometimes using it without any
longer lens along. At this point a 50mm lens seems like a telephoto and
with 15mm more, um, widely useable than anticipated, there was soon no
choice but to try the 12mm- more expensive, not quite so small as to be
unnoticed when carried along as an extra, requires a bit more thought
in using it, but what a view! Fortunately this is the end of the
frontier, and the 15 is my favorite of the 3.

Anyhow, if you want a 21 and can live with f4, the VC is an excellent
option and a small investment, even if it does not stop there (the cost
of all 3 is still less than that of a Leica 21).