Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica participation in 4/3rds format
From: mark_wilkins at yahoo.com (Mark R. Wilkins)
Date: Sun Feb 26 10:34:30 2006

On Feb 26, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Scott McLoughlin wrote:

> But is that where Leica is going here in this 4/3 market? What
> is their value add in this alliance at the present time? Hence my
> question whether or not they were making any money on this
> deal, or this "alliance," and so on and so forth.

My guess is:

1)  Leica's getting paid for use of their name and some of their
technology.

2)  Leica gets access to technologies and components that will allow
them to develop and release further high-end digital products.

3)  Leica gets to try to market a Panasonic-clone camera with their
own name on it for a steep markup.

All of these are reasonable things for them to be doing, in my
opinion, even if they're not really set up to do #3 that well. :)

-- Mark