Subject: [Leica] Re:JPEG compression
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Feb 26 13:46:12 2006

Hi Larry, nothing was added but on re-compression less was thrown
away. When you expand the jpeg a picture is created which has
spurious data in it computed from the compressed file and
approximating the "believeable" to replace the data thrown away as
partially masked when originally compressed. When re-compressed using
a less lossy setting of the jpeg algorithm less of the file is
discarded in the compression but you have gained nothing as part of
the data retained was reconstituted rather than real anyway.