Subject: [Leica] LUG's PMA 2006 Correspondent, Chris Williams
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sun Feb 26 19:53:00 2006

Most developers have a developing agent (like metol) and an alkaline
chemical mixed together. Divided D76 has two solutions. The first is the
developer, but it is not active because it isn't alkaline. So, you soak the
film in the developer for 3 minutes and let the developer soak into the
emulsion with no developing happening. Then you transfer the film to the
alkaline solution (in this case, borax) to start the developing. The second
solution is for 3-5 minutes. It is pretty much foolproof since, once the
developer in the emulsion is used up, the developing stops. One advantage is
that it is pretty much impossible to overdevelop the negatives. The second
advantage is that temperature is not important. And the third advantage is
that you can develop different films in the same bath. I develop both Tri-X
and Acros in the same tank.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com