Subject: [Leica] more gun portraits (let me know if you get tired of this)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Feb 27 16:45:40 2006

Kyle your biggest problem with this project wont be gun owners, but the
daily "edit by committee comments!"  I know everyone mean's well in their
comment and critique, but it can breed confusion more than being helpful.

I think you've got the track to run on .... pictures in the kitchen or
living room of their homes appear to be the common denominator, simply
because one or the other of these are room's throughout the homes of the
world.

By showing out-takes every day the danger is, what 3 people think are a
great picture, ten will say otherwise and it'll create a thousand fold
confusion compounded day after day. Even when you feel strongly about a
given picture, the constant comments will get to you sooner or later.

And having produced a number of books, I as much as anyone know without
question, we are our own worse editor's! What you need is an editor who's
absolutely ruthless, who could care less whether you laugh or cry in the
selection. Their bottom line is nothing but success of the project as the
criteria for the in-out editing process.

Sure you can plead your case for a certain photo to be used, been there done
it many times and lost in most cases! :-( The editor sees the photo simply
as a photo with absolutely no aroma of the home, how tired you were, and the
many other emotional aspects we go through working on such an intense
project.

There have been some very important suggestions offered, certainly when you
use a super wide lens! You have to hold that puppy absolutely straight, bend
your knees and not "bend the camera down!" Tilt for a better word.  Or
you'll blow the shot simply because the extreme distortion takes the viewers
eyes away from the content!

This series has the potential for every photograph to have a "WOW" factor to
"EXTREME WOW to SUPER WOW!" And more, page after page. It will take readers
quite some time going through it, simply because it wont just be the guns
holding the fascination, but the surroundings of each home as well. Not to
forget the subjects will be most interesting in themselves.

However, you know your own thing as we've seen in your excellent photography
on previous projects, so what works for you, is what works. But make damn
sure the editor whomever, is totally in-tune with the project.

ted

Message from bquinn at sgi.com (Barney Quinn) ([Leica] more gun portraits (let me know if you get tired of this))