Subject: [Leica] more portraits: americans and their firearms
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Feb 27 21:44:29 2006

As other have said, the impact of these images is the combination of
perfectly normal-looking people, especially with children, and what are
fundamentally instruments of death. Yes, I know that Leica owners
sometimes fondle their gear too, but there IS a difference--a Leica is
designed to make images, while most guns are designed to kill animals or
people.

I do not wish to turn this into a gun/no-gun debate. As a teenager, I
used to go to a shooting club and shoot target practice with a handgun
(rented from the club), so I am not completely averse to the sport. But
let's face it, if you ask most gun owners in the US why they own guns,
you will not hear much about shooting at paper targets--you are more
likely to hear things about protecting the family, hunting, the 2nd
Amendment etc. I reiterate: guns are designed to kill, and it is
precisely this fact that makes Kyle's images interesting.

Nathan