Subject: [Leica] interest poll: custom QR plate
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Tue Feb 28 08:58:43 2006

I've been privately discussing with another list member a custom ARCA-style
QR plate that we'd both like to have made and before we contact the shops
that are likely to do the work we'd like to see how many others would be
interested in the plate.

Some background:  I've been using an off-the-shelf QR plate on a
first-version 14188 shoulder stock (shown at
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/temp/560r68.jpg).  This shoulder stock has a
1/4" threaded hole in the large flat vertical bar where I've attached the QR
plate.  I've been using this with a monopod topped with a tilt head and QR
clamp for many of my wildlife photos and while it has provided many benefits
there are still some drawbacks, primarily the early-style shoulder stock's
lack of adjustments.

I'd much rather use the third-version 14188 shoulder stock
(http://www.wildlightphoto.com/temp/400r68.jpg) because its vastly improved
adjustment controls make it much more comfortable to use, however I haven't
found an off-the-shelf QR plate I can use on it.  This shoulder stock has a
1/4" threaded hole at the angled base of the handgrip where the QR plate
would be attached.

How many others would be interested in this QR plate?  Is there someone on
the list who can and is willing to fabricate this?  I was thinking of asking
SK Grimes, Wimberley and RRS but I'd rather keep the job in the "family".

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Riding the T with the new E330)