Subject: [Leica] Vancouver Camera Show and Lugger Meet
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed Mar 1 23:53:31 2006

Greg:  Please put me on the list for more Vancouver info.  I'll probably
want to come up.

And congrats on that 85/2 Canon.  It has a good reputation.  My first fast
RF tele was the Canon 85/1.9, which was just OK.  I replaced it with
another Sonnar derivative, the 85/2 Nikkor. That's the lens with which I've
done a lot of my classical musician photos.  I dubbed it "heavy metal,"
because it was made of solid brass and chrome with the density of
weapons-grade uranium.  Too heavy to carry around, so I mostly just took it
to concerts.

Eventually the siren song of the Summicron won out--not the 90/AA, but the
early-1980s version with the sliding hood that covers the f-stop ring when
retracted.  The one that Tom A hates. I like it because the focus ring is a
bit farther away from the camera body than its later optical brother, which
suits my long fingers just fine.  It weighs 410 grams, which is a bit more
totable than "heavy metal" ever was at ~690 gm.

--Peter