Subject: [Leica] Photographers Formulary fixer
From: Engl6914 at cableone.net (Lee England)
Date: Thu Mar 2 01:11:43 2006

Jeffrey wrote:
> I made the mistake of buying and using Photographers Formulary Rapid Fix.
> It
> comes in a quart bottle and is very turbid. I mixed it with water using the
> directions on the bottle, and the resulting solution was still very turbid.
> It worked fine as a fixer, but even after 30 minutes of running water rinse
> in a Paterson tank, the 4 rolls of Tri-X are completely speckled with
> whatever undissolved chemical was making the fix turbid. Fortunately, the
> Polaroid dust filter wipes out 90% of it, as the specks are very, very
> small.
>
> Anyone have this happen? I'm tempted to pour the rest of the bottle down
> the
> commode.
>
> Jeffery Smith
> New Orleans, LA
> http://www.400tx.com

Jeffrey,
    It's your water.  New Orleans water never was worth drinking, and it's
got to be worse following Katrina.  I use TF4 all the time.  The
instructions suggest distilled water, and I used that for a time.  Then one
night when I was out I used filtered Natchez, Miss. water--it worked fine.
The turbidity should clear in about 10-15 minutes.
    The Kentwood bottled water people made a fortune selling to everyone in
New Orleans.  I never could drink the New Orleans water unless I was
desperate and there was a lot of ice in it.  It's from the Miss. River, but
you know that.  There's no telling what's in it.  That river drains half the
continent.

Lee England
Natchez, Mississippi  USA

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] Photographers Formulary fixer)