Subject: [Leica] B/W films was: Jeffery PAW - Week 10 - À la manière de Robert Capa
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Mar 8 07:48:37 2006

I am going to allow myself to get "technical". :-) Walt already
mentioned the tenuous link between Capa and the rest of us (we're not
close enough).

Anyway, to the mundane details of film. I have been playing with other
films in the event that the rug gets pulled out from under us (already
happened to me once with Agfa APX400 in 120 format). The Efke films
have never drawn my attention. They are just too slow for me.

So I've been toying with Fomapan, both 400 and 200. They are two
different animals. The 400 reminds me of APX400. It's the 200 that I
was going to exemplify here (mostly). One thing I like about Fomapan
is that you can pull out some contrast even it dull situations.

These shot are from a fairly rainy, dreary day in London:

http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/2006v0607/06v07-0002.jpg.html
http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/2006v0607/06v06-0003.jpg.html
http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/2006v0607/06v06-0004.jpg.html
http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/2006v0607/06v07-0005.jpg.html

The next two were really taken on an overcast day. I'm happy with the
snap I can pull out of the negatives:

http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/2006v09/06v09-0015.jpg.html
http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/2006v08/06v08-0006.jpg.html

Yet, if you have a really strong sun it doesn't block up (readily) in
the highlights or the shadows. It handles contrast nicely:

http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/2006v09/06v09-0008.jpg.html
http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/2006v09/06v09-0009.jpg.html

And portraits turn out nicely too in windowlight:

http://www.dlridings.se/gallery/v/shoebox/2006v08/06v08-0001.jpg.html

All these were taken with on-topic stuff. The last portrait was with
the IIIf and 50/2.0 Summitar.

Of the two, Fomapan 400 and Fomapan 200, I think I actually prefer the
200. That surprizes me because I am very, very partial to faster
films. But I am finding I can live with 200 now as the light returns
just fine.

So much for film ...

Daniel